Women’s work, leadership and contributions positively impact social, economic and environmental progress. But we live in an unjust world where gender inequality remains pervasive and human rights, especially women’s human rights are violated with impunity and effectively hold back women around the world. Despite a growing focus on gender at all levels stark gender disparities remain, including unequal access to land, resources, opportunities and decision-making power.
READ has initiated Gender equality & equity program in Ramanaguda Block of Rayagada District of Odisha, India. Rayagada District is one of the most backward districts of Odisha state. The total population of Rayagada district is 967911 out of which 495951 are female. The tribal women are 57.03% and Scheduled Caste women are 14.41%. There are 39.19% women are illiterate. As a result the increasing cases of gender based violation and related complications in accessing justice has become inadequate by women in the state of Odisha. The GRC (Gender Resource Centre) has been established at Ramanaguda Block of Rayagada Dist by READ to support those women who have violence related issues and difficulties to access justice.
- To prevent and address the atrocities against women through awareness building in the area
- Provide legal Aid support to Women organisations and other bodies to address the issues of women & children
- Family Counselling support to the needy.
- Impart capacity building training to women leaders to increase knowledge and resources for the community development programmes
- Evidence based advocacy on women’s rights.
- Awareness building to the community on gender equality & equity,
- Establishing GRC in Block level to facilitate legal assistance, counselling
- Capacity Building to stakeholders,
- Community Mobilization
- Case Work & Referral
- Promoting & Strengthening to Gender Vigilance Committees(GVCs),
- Legal Aid awareness.
- Strengthening CBOs
- Community, family Counselling.
ROLES AND FUNCTIONS OF GRC:
a. Promoting gender awareness and gender sensitization to various stakeholders and departments
b. Building capacities of the many stakeholders and change agents to enable effective gender mainstreaming
c. Providing support to and coordination of efforts of various change agents to facilitate gender mainstreaming in respective departments, programmes and schemes.
d. Providing technical inputs for Gender Planning, Gender Budgeting, Gender Analysis & Audit of Policies, Programmes and outcomes, Gender Convergence and Gender Advocacy to various organisations within and outside the state.
e. Demonstrating and guiding design and strategy for gender sensitive programs.
Promotion of Gender Vigilance Committees(GVCs)
READ promotes and strengthens women organizations in the community level and facilitate to fight against gender disparity through Gender Resource Centre(GRC). Thus the Gender Vigilance Committees are promoted in the GP level who facilitate and sensitize women and men in the community to identify the gender issues and problems & solve in the community itself. Sometimes the cases are being solved by the GRC Coordinator and in the rear cases the issues are being taken for legal action if it is not solved in the community and GRC level. Therefore, READ focuses on the following objectives to establish gender equality and equity in the society are;
- To prevent and address the atrocities against women through awareness building in the area.
Provide legal Aid support to Women organisations and other bodies to address the issues of women & children.
Family Counselling support to the needy.
Impart capacity building training to women leaders to increase knowledge and resources for the community development programmes.
Evidence based advocacy on women’s rights.